Saturday, August 23, 2008
Biden - Obama
Too bad Joe Biden isn't at the top of the ticket. I might have voted for a Biden-Obama ticket, but can't see myself voting for rock-star-in-chief Obama. Biden has 35 years of Senate experience. Obama had just 142 days before he began to run for President. The Democrats are the greatest self destruct machine ever assembled. Had they nominated Hillary, they likely would have won. My money, at this moment, is back on McCain. I am curious to see what the line is at Ladbrokers, the U.K. gambling house.
Biden was the second best political pick for Obama - Hillary would have been the better pick - but Biden was a very sensible pick.
Now its McCain's turn. If he really wants to win, he will choose Lieberman as his running mate. Doing so would deliver Florida to McCain, but it would really piss off many in the Republican party. I would like to remind McCain: Its about WINNING. No one has to tell Obama that. Obama is, without question, in the top 3 campaign politicians of the past 50 years.
Neither one of these guys has touched the real issues facing America.
So here goes:
Dear Mr. President:
Welcome to the White House. Its good to be King. Now you need to get to work to save the U.S. financial markets as well as the U.S. $ (not to mention our civil rights and freedoms) from an energy crisis of our own making:
1. You must lower the Federal payroll by 1/3 - yes, that means MASSIVE layoffs. The Federal Government must be cut to the bone.
2. You must raise the retirement age to 70 for Social Security and Medicare.
3. You must enact a tax on gasoline, diesel, electricity, and natural gas that really forces the American public to use less - much less.
4. You must privatize Fannie Mai & Freddie Mac, and let the market let things fall where they may
5. You must enact an income tax on the CEO's of PUBLIC corporations that confiscates 99% of everything over $5 million per year in compensation. (Notice I said PUBLIC companies. IF you are smart enough to found the next Google and you do not need to access the PUBLIC markets, you may make as much as possible without said tax. But we gotta stop paying the f%$#ing CEO of Freddie Mac $25 million to fail to see the housing crisis, or $165 million to CEO Stan O'Neil to destroy Merrill Lynch while the rank and file at WalMart does not have health insurance.) Adjust it for inflation. Trust me, $5 million per year leads to a very, very comfortable life.
6. You must find a way to provide health insurance for each and every American - it has been a silly debate and has held the U.S. back - but those who smoke, drink excessively, are overweight, use drugs, drive without seat belts, etc... should pay many multiples more for their insurance than those that accept their responsibilities. (So, you're fat smoker? Quit smooking, loose some weight, or pay up. Pretty simple. BTW, you will live longer, and happier, and you won't need Viagra.)
7. The U.S. must have public transportation as the centerpiece of our new economic plan!!!
8. You must let Ford and G.M., etc... fail, if need be. No tax payer bailouts for ANY for profit corporations. Personal responsibility for ALL, not just the little guy.
You must do all of this in less than 4 years because any President that actually tried this as an agenda would not get a second term... hell, he might not live through the first term.
But he would get his profile on Mt. Rushmore and his picture on the $20 Bill (who cares about Andrew Jackson anymore?).
Yours for a better world,
Mentatt (at) yahoo (dot) com
Posted by The Short Story Man at 8:01 AM