Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Lies: Mine, Yours, and Statistics

The EIA was out in force today, informing the American public that the average price per barrel of oil in 2008 would be $127, and that DEMAND would fall by 400,000 barrels per day. 

The EIA continues to frame the issue in DEMAND terms.  They are being disingenuous, to be kind.  To be informative and accurate, the EIA SHOULD HAVE framed the issue this way:

"Oil SUPPLIES are expected to fall by 400,000 barrels this year."  

Rather than the propaganda:

"Oil DEMAND is expected to fall by 400,000 barrels this year."

DEMAND can NEVER exceed SUPPLY, as used and defined by the subject matter.  And since the SUPPLY of oil is going down, the DEMAND for oil must also head down with PRICE as the mechanism for bringing the two into equilibrium.

Now, if inventories were PILING UP, then perhaps the EIA would be correct in using the DEMAND argument.  In fact, inventories are down year over year.  Once again, the EIA obfuscates the real meaning behind the data.

-----------------------------------------------------

I have received an inordinate amount of email haranguing me about my audacity in challenging the conventional and politically correct views on funding social programs, healthcare, housing, etc...

Once upon a time, I was a healthcare finance analyst.  In fact, I ran a million dollar a year practice doing so in New York for the better part of a decade (to be fair, in addition to several other hats I would wear on a daily basis).  

Yet the emails I received were from folks that I feel confident had very little experience as an analyst whatsoever, and absolutely nothing in the area under discussion.

I have noticed a few things about my fellow Americans -  Every single one of them will tell you, with a face as serious as a heart attack that:

  1. That they are very good drivers, far above average (The entire set of any data pool cannot, by mathematical necessity, be above average).
  2. That they are excellent lovers (again, certainly above average - please refer to 1).
  3. That they/we could solve the most contentious, intractable issues imaginable.
  4. And that they have received all of the pertinent data on whatever the issue - healthcare, social security,  abortion, taxation, guns, flag burning, freedom fries, gay marriage (to bring up a few of the manufactured, yet somehow contentious issues), the drinking age or age of consent, crime and punishment, energy, etc... - and that they understand the issue perfectly and succinctly and that the data was delivered to them by a pure and unbiased, unfiltered and altruistic data source with absolutely no agenda, and that their own personal experience during their formative years has had no influence in the formation of beliefs based upon the aforementioned angelic data feed.
And, of course I am as guilty as the next.  But at least I know I am full of shit. 

--------------------------------------------------------

Just over a week ago, on June 28, I posted this article that Oil at $142 did not turn me on.  Well, Oil is $136 and I am still not excited to add to it here.  As I said before, Oil could certainly head straight to $165, or right back to $120.  That risk/reward ratio does not turn me on.  A 20% or 30% decline might peak my interest in adding long positions.  Of course, I might miss the next leg up.  But for me, this is not academic (or political).  This is how I make a living.

My fellow analyst and fund manager, our own mad scientist Dr. Lalani pointed out to me today that having Oil over $100, let alone $136, was like throwing gasoline (pun intended) on the fire of the exporting countries economies.  For every bit of economic pain high prices cause in the U.S., they cause an equal and opposite amount of joy in the export economies.

Still, no market, not even oil during the greatest and last oil crisis mankind will ever know, moves in a straight line (with the possible exception of the U.S. housing market).

Good luck!

Mentatt (at) yahoo (d0t) com




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Took me awhile to realize that demand can exceed supply only in the case of using stored oil reserves, which we do indeed seem to be using (up).

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Only on a day to day basis. On any long term horizon, and we are talking yearly consumption patterns here, demand will ALWAYS equal supply as defined in classical economics.

Demand does NOT equal desire. The desire for more oil can influence the price, but not the demand once price brings the 2 into equalibrium.

Anonymous said...

Greg, I find your postings interesting precisely because I do not agree with them all the time. I mention that in order to encourage you to continue with your politically "incorrect" comments. The truth is always more complicated than our language is capable of representing. This holds true not only for the physical sciences but also for the social sciences (including finance). Contrary opinions are always highly welcome as they help us to test the validity of our own convictions.

The problem is not disagreement (which can not be avoided). The problem is our inability to deal with disagreement in a civilized way.

So please do not get angry at those emails/comments who dare to state opinions differing from yours.

Keep your controversial posts coming! Thanks.

Robert S.

Anonymous said...

By definition, demand always equals supply. However, marginal demand and marginal supply are not always equal. If they differ, price changes are the consequence. Unfortunately, demand and marginal demand are frequently confused which leads to all kinds of contradictions.

Robert S.

Anonymous said...

If you could: the EIA table you have from 1990 thru 2008 basically shows that crude oil supplies are unchanged, at around 1.6. Where is the year-over-year decrease? I have another line chart that I got somewhere that shows DOE crude oil inventories increasing a little in 2004, 2005, 2006 and then in 2007 there was a peak mid-year and it has dropped ever since. I can't reconcile all this data. Help! Thanks!

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Robert S:

I am not offended in the least! But I did want to point out that MOST of our opinions are hardly original, and often not well thought through before taking a HARD position.

I think it is something we collectively have learned foom watching politicians in this country. Have you EVER heard one of them say they were wrong, and then go about repairing the issue?

Not bloody likely.

THe data I sent shows the year over year by week of gross commercial (no spr) inventories. That dates tell you all you need to know. Inventories are down from last year, while consumption is down and prices are up.

Ergo, it ain't that demand is falling, it is supplu falling and demand euals supply (assuming inventories remain constant, and not that that matters because you can't draw inventories down forever.