Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blast from the Past

I wrote this in my post of November 28, 2007:

An Apocalypse NOT!

I get a decent amount of email from the “doom and gloom” folks asking me when I think the “collapse” takes place. Collapse? What collapse?

The decline in oil availability will be a slow, grinding process (in my opinion) that will not fit nicely in a 2 hour movie, 3 minute pop hit, or 15 second political sound bite mindset. I hope I can disabuse the doomers that visit here that they need some kind of bomb shelter. Although I fully appreciate your point of view, my commentary is directed toward how one might direct the investments that they have worked so hard for. I sincerely believe that the U.S. oil supply situation will have profound effects on our financial and real estate markets and currency over the next 5 years, but I do not think this will happen on a Tuesday afternoon. Nor do I believe that we will descend into anarchy. Are not resource wars (starting with Iraq), and the prospect of hyperinflation, and stagnant or declining GDP enough? Well, at least I hope they are.

My issue is this: Why should you work so hard only to pour your investment dollars into a leaking bucket? You would have been better off spending those shekels on vacations, expensive wine, and song. (Actually, that sort of appeals to me.) Some might find that pecuniary, but those that do probably did not spend a career doggedly pursuing some level of financial independence. Actually, I am quite sure that on some level the tied dye set is HOPING for a collapse. Teach those yuppie pricks a lesson.

I know that a lot of the peak oil blogsphere is filled with disaster scenarios, but I sincerely doubt this is the most likely outcome. That argument that we will experience immanent agricultural disaster due to declining energy inputs is just not that likely. The markets are efficient enough to redistribute those inputs away from Suzie-Cuzie’s trip to the mall and into the farmer’s tank and fertilizer bin. Yes, food is going to get much more expensive, and yes, this will fall disproportionately on the poor. But the aggregate AMOUNT of food available to Americans is not the problem, but rather how to pay for assistance to the poor.

This is not to say that our agricultural exports won’t decline and harm others. I sadly think that is a rather likely outcome. Those of you that have been following my blog know that I have great concerns in this area. Wheat and corn production will become an increasingly expensive proposition, and that will negatively affect aggregate crop production, just look at wheat inventories, and in turn available exports and domestic meat production, but the lesson of history is that people will be “incentivized” to produce some of their own food. As an avid gardener, I can tell you that a simple kitchen garden can overwhelm your ability to consume all that is produced at harvest time, the surplus of which can certainly be preserved. It will not be necessary to produce ALL of our own food (at least not for 20 or 30 years, all bets are off at that point in the oil production curve) just enough to bring the marginal scarcity food cost down to an affordable level.

I get email from one dour fellow who tells me that we have lost all of the knowledge to do this. What knowledge, gardening? Get a grip, and join my garden club. You would be impressed with what these folks know.

As my friend FireAngel from theoildrum.com likes to point out, if India can feed over 1 billion people with less arable land and far less fossil fuel imports, North America certainly can feed its population.

There is also some slack for the economy in the wasteful way in which we use oil. FireAngel recently pointed out that driving around in circles does not increase GDP.

If it were going to be Armageddon, what would be the point of investing? Better to blow it all on a trip around the world.

No, the Apocalypse won’t be arriving anytime soon, but a paradigm shift is, in my opinion, underway as I write this. In this paradigm shift, there will be winners and there will be losers. Not much different than our current reality. It is the INSISTING that things be a certain way that will get you into trouble. Flexibility and adaptability will go a long way in the environment I foresee.

No, it won’t be business as usual. We are likely to be a whole lot less mobile, live in smaller homes, and consume less frilly BS. We won’t be commuting as far, be more involved in our communities and our children’s lives, and we even might all have a new hobby – gardening. But I ask you: Is that really Armageddon?





End of 11.28.2007 post





Today, somewhere in Rural Tennessee... (with the theme from "Terminator" playing in the background....Oh, and BTW, in the post..."Fireangel" from theoildrum.com? I renamed him the Mad Scientist (he really is a scientist) and retained him as an analyst at the Sleepy Hollow Funds.)





I am still of the belief that there will be no Armageddon, with mobs roaming the streets looking for people to eat. I do think that there will be incredably rough patches, and that the legions of "the poor" will grow fantastically, the economy will not cooperate as projected to fund the anticipated tax revenues, which will lead to issues with the currency and the various social programs.



The biggest adjustments are going to have to be made by the folks depending on transfer payments and benefits and the upper middle class to semi rich, as the later groups benefit from credit and leverage in ways they are completely unaware of.


(I was speaking with a buddy of mine this morning. He's my age, has a son my son's age, a Middle Class millionaire (I love that term... I use it to describe guys with a few million bucks that everyone thinks are "rich", but he has to get up early tomorrow to go to work to keep the managerie going... he grew up in a 2 bedroom apartment in working class New York City neighborhood (and no, it isn't me), and if you asked him back then what "rich" was he would have described his current circumstances... he reads my stuff, so.. .Hey, bro, ain't life grand? Now, get back to the grind!), and we were discussing expectations - ours, our wives, our children's, as well as our efforts to provide for those expectations - and how difficult it was to feel secure that we have been and are continuing to do the right thing (in working to secure our family's futures). The problem is in the "expectations". "Expectations" can prove bothersome in such disparate fields such as Politics, Marriage, and Commodity Price Forecasting. )

The Peak Oil "Doomers" had it wrong in that the system was to be compromised not by fire - but by ice. I have commentors informing me that the price of grains is down, therefore my concerns ar unfounded. That just isn't how the commodity cycle works, and grains are a commodity, perhaps THE commodity. They also had it wrong in thinking that the change would be sudden and violent (although it could happen that way, I would describe it as a low probabiltity/high consequence event).

No, we will constantly accept a "new normal", that will come upon us in stages, with the greatest change in the economic and energy landscape occuring during the 1/2008 to the 12/20012 or 13 period. It will be interesting to see how grain (corn) prices react to a 4 million bpd oil import decline during that period, as well as how the U.S. economy and tax revenues hold up.

Mentatt (at) yahoo

7 comments:

Jacob Gittes said...

Greg,
Thanks for another good post.
I love your measured tone and reassuring rationality.
The main bone I have to pick with those who veer towards what I would call complacent is this:

there are enough low-probability but high-consequence events, that you must actually add the individual probabilities of them up to reach the "real" probability (if such a thing exists) of a high-consequence Black Swam event happening.

For example, political instability can be though of as a disease that is contagious: it could start in California and spread. Same with social unrest due to too much homelessness or hungry people. Add in the bogeyman of a terrorist attack, major problems with energy infrastructure due to hurricanes, etc., and I think there is a quite higher danger of a system shock than you seem to think...

I could be wrong, and hope I'm wrong.

Also, the oil market is a global market. How much disruption would it take to a major oil producer to really change the equation?

How much of a disaster in the grain harvest would it take to cause social disruption?

I'm only asking questions.

The social norms and consensus that really hold this thing together is more quickly changeable than anything in the physical and biological world, and those things are fragile enough.

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Publius:

You are correct that in calculating risk from "low prob/high conseq" events one MUST add up each individual probabilty.

I do not argue that.

I think things will get bad enough to satisfy the "doomers" - but it will happen over enough time so that people think it normal. Said another way, it is all about the rate of change.

For example: I am nearly 50 years old, and for my age I am in very good shape - I even train full contact submission grappling several days a week. But if I were transported to my current condition instantly from when I was 20 years old - I think I would be looking for a strong rope and a stout tree (from which to hang myself). Since it took nearly 30 years... well, it seems OK - NORMAL.

This is how I view the most likely outcome for Peak Oil.

Agriculture is something differernt altogether. The USDA is not doing the right thing for the AMerican people under any circumstances. Food security is one major drought or crop failure away from the abyss. I think their failure here to be such a deriliction of duty as to be criminal.

This is not to say that a "black swan" event could not or will not happen. Given a ling enough timeline the probability for such an event is 1.00 or 100%, but in any given year it is much, much less probable.

I do not believe that the U.S. will, in real terms, get back to its 2006 or so level of production OR consumption. I do not argue if this is right or wrong, good or bad, only that I believe it WILL BE, and then, being the stone cold Libertarian Capitalist that I am... I am going to go about trying to arrange the best possible outcome for my family and I.

Now, I know that that philosophy absolutely sends the Left into orbit - which is why I feel that that political faction is our greatest problem, with the "Right" coming in a close second.

The U.S. desperately NEEDS a functioning Libertarian political alternative.

bureaucrat said...

Hell, every "black swan" to date has amounted to almost nothing: the power outage on the East Coast in 2003? (a bad weekend), 9/11 (for 99% of the U.S. population, the worst that happened to them was now living with 60-character computer passwords [lower, upper, numbers and symbols!!] that change every month now, and showing IDs to overpriced lobby security guards), commodity prices spiking in summer of 2008 (brief spike in prices, and no one died), Katrina(didn't touch Chicago in the slightest), etc., etc.

3% of the U.S. population got a government check in some form in the 1920s. That number is now at 50%. There will never be another "Great Depression." And while governments will devalue their currency, the checks will still keep going out. Jeffers is correct that peak oil isn't going to happen overnight and the world isn't going to end. Stuff is just gonna get more expensive, less so for those of us that reduce the waste in our lives.

Donal Lang said...

Greg; OK, OK, so you ARE a genius! (Welcome to the Club! ;-)

I wish you'd be wrong about some of this stuff though - we could do with some good news once in a while!

I'm not a doomer but I do worry that the long,slow decline will actually turn out more damaging and dangerous than a big hit. If the banks had 'fessed up and declared their stupidities and debts and gone bust fast (ideally with a few key figures of the debacle doing the decent thing and jumping from their penthouse panoramic windows)then we could have moved on and started to rebuild with a sense of reality.

But what's happenning now is Disney School of Economics and, sadly, lots of people are being taken in by the cartoon 'Green Shoots'. You're right about the fragility of our situation (worldwide), especially about food. I can't help but worry about the population more than doubling in my/your lifetime. Especially when 20% of them are Chinese.

Two interesting things I'll mention:
Good articles on methane clathrates in New Scientist this month; lots of consequences for energy, markets, distribution of wealth. Oh yes, and climate change!
Also, found a great book; "Sustainable Energy, without the hot air". David MacKay. Based on UK and Europe but great analysis. Best I've seen.

Anonymous said...

Greg said: "I think things will get bad enough to satisfy the "doomers" - but it will happen over enough time so that people think it normal. Said another way, it is all about the rate of change."

I agree. It will also be slow enough that quite possibly people will never see or understand that a decline in oil supplies is behind it all. Instead, people will be blaming this political party or the other, or blaming the bankers, or the president, etc.

Somehow, there's going to be a good laugh or two watching this all play out, amongst the suffering.

Stephen B.

Jacob Gittes said...

Greg,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm a "lapsed Libertarian." I don't really know what to think anymore.

I've been thinking about the spiritual (for want of a better term) of the unfolding crisis, whether it will be fast or slow.

I really need to personally stop focusing on the absurd and criminal aspects of the crisis: the bank fraud, the unjust bailouts of the banks, the effectively ponzi nature of our economy, the seeming hopelessness of raising awareness.

It is good to prepare, but not good to lament or live in fear. One must still enjoy life - life can be wonderful while consuming less. In fact, most people find life is actually richer lived with less emphasis on material consumption, and more on friends, family, hobbies (hobbies that actually take skill and time more than money and consumption). One of my hobbies is fixing up old audio equipment, for example: turntables, tube amps, etc. I find it amazingly cheap, and create something beautiful (to me).

This is a rambling post, but my main point: the "gloom and doom" stuff gets old fast, and doesn't seem to be useful. Those still in the thrall of conventional thinking on energy and the economy are almost never persuaded, so you are just preaching to the choir. Many people are actually put off by it, and so their day of revelation is probably delayed.

Your blog is just polemical enough, while being open to alternative views. Karl Denninger, for example, doesn't seem to tolerate dissent... he's kind of a bully.

Thanks for not being a bully as we try to get through this thing called life (to quote Prince) together....

Anonymous said...

Stephen B.

It's the failure to recognize a problem, and put the blame where it belongs that worries me most. Conclusions based on false premises are guaranteed to be bad. Factions blaming each other for things that none had done can only lead to increased fear, hate and social unrest. I hope you are wrong.

I see lots of political correctness and bull $#!^ from every quarter. There is too little truth and less desire to know it.

Regards,

Coal Guy