Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Recession Gardens"


Image courtesy of oOOo.


This was front page on Yahoo Finance tonight:

"Dollars from dirt: Economy Spurs Home Garden Boom."

With the recession in full swing, many Americans are returning to their roots -- literally -- cultivating vegetables in their backyards to squeeze every penny out of their food budget.
Industry surveys show double-digit growth in the number of home gardeners this year and mail-order companies report such a tremendous demand that some have run out of seeds for basic vegetables such as onions, tomatoes and peppers.

"People's home grocery budget got absolutely shredded and now we've seen just this dramatic increase in the demand for our vegetable seeds. We're selling out," said George Ball, CEO of Burpee Seeds, the largest mail-order seed company in the U.S. "I've never seen anything like it."

Gardening advocates, who have long struggled to get America grubby, have dubbed the newly planted tracts "recession gardens" and hope to shape the interest into a movement similar to the victory gardens of World War II.

Those gardens, modeled after a White House patch planted by Eleanor Roosevelt in 1943, were intended to inspire self-sufficiency, and at their peak supplied 40 percent of the nation's fresh produce, said Roger Doiron, founding director of Kitchen Gardeners International.

Doiron and several colleagues are petitioning President Obama to plant a similar garden at the White House as part of his call for a responsible, eco-friendly economic turnaround. Proponents have collected 75,000 signatures on an online petition.

"It's really part of our history and it's part of the White House's history," Doiron said. "When I found out why it had been done over the course of history and I looked at where we are now, it makes sense again."

But for many Americans, the appeal of backyard gardening isn't in its history -- it's in the savings.

The National Gardening Association estimates that a well-maintained vegetable garden yields a $500 average return per year. A study by Burpee Seeds claims that $50 spent on gardening supplies can multiply into $1,250 worth of produce annually.

Doiron spent nine months weighing and recording each vegetable he pulled from his 1,600-square-foot garden outside Portland, Maine. After counting the final winter leaves of Belgian endive, he found he had saved about $2,150 by growing produce for his family of five instead of buying it.
Well, I guess it is not just rural Tennessee that is seeing this reaction.  

For me, it is a personal relief:  Several years ago while doing research on the energy complex, other data points kept cropping up in the literature. After further consideration, in addition to my view that the energy complex would be unable to meet its projections I came to the conclusion that:

  1. The banking system was going to blow up.
  2. The food supply system might not have the necessary redundancies.

 I met with friends, clients, and prospects and told them of my thoughts... and people thought I had flipped my wig.

Since then the banking system blew up, and it is now conventional wisdom that we will have to move away from imported Oil, one way or the other.  But food... food was a given.  That was 3 years ago.  I guess a lot has change since then.

I do believe that people are growing more of their own food.  I do not believe that the reason they are doing so is solely for economic reasons.  My best guess is that there has been enough internet chatter about how utterly dependent we are for the very food we eat on a very complex system that could very well come unglued for any number of reasons at any time - crop failure, currency failure, drought, energy shortages, etc... that the idea of food security as well as personal economic security has worked its way into the national mindset.

70 years ago people were thin (actually, 30 years ago people were still thin - none of the kids I went to college with were significantly overweight... I don' think that is true today), food was expensive, and people knew where their food came from - with many producing a significant amount on their own.  In one lifetime we went from an Agrarian/Industrial society to a consumer society... and in the last 6 months many of us looked down and realized (Holy Sh-t!) we were working without a net.

This is unbelievably good stuff.  We don't need to grow all of our own food.  If the average person grew 10% of their food, and did it in an organic and "sustainable" way, and if local producers contributed a further 10% (I am just guessing at the numbers, but you get the point) the risks to the system would be greatly reduced.

Yours for a better world,

Mentatt (at) yahoo (d0t) com






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fits quite well with your post:
http://www.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/hires/cultureskews.jpg

bureaucrat said...

My brother was ahead of the curve in the 1970s wanting "old clothes" as a teenager (from which the "distressed jeans"/"grunge" movement eventually evolved). Ten years ago, my brother, who grew up in the friggin'SUBURBS with me, also wanted to be a corn farmer. He even called a real farm on the phone and they shipped him a bag of corn seed! He seems to be a seer of the future. Scientist will also be happy to know my brother wanted to ride motorcycles not too long ago. :) Oil and agriculture are my themes for the next 20 years (as well as turning kids off to college and its debt).

Anonymous said...

Where I live, we have had several "New Gardeners Classes". For the three classes, 120 folks showed up. Some repeats, but at every class, new ones appeared. We shall see how many do actual planting and growing/harvesting.

Donal Lang said...

Trouble is, growing your own food without oil derived pesticides, gas derived fertiliser and an oil-powered tractor is bloody hard graft, and most people left it behind to wander around to the supermarket for very good reasons!

Personally I found rural life to be great - for a while. Then I missed the intellectual stimulation of a conversation beyond fertiliser (interpret that as you wish!) and I had to get back to the predominantly urbanite life I was brought up to. Still happiest in the country (for weekends and holidays), still love the rural life as a sanity-check, and still like the security of owning a green bit of land.

But I've decided I'd be more suited to being a sharecropping landlord than getting that brown stuff under my fingernails!

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Greg T. Jeffers said...
Donal:

I could not agree more about your (and my) preference for living in a large metro city.

I know I p--s people off with my capitalist attitude... but somebody will come out ahead in every epoch. Why shouldn't it be you and me? Owning productive farmland outside the city and a townhome and business in the city seems more appealing than communal living (to me anyway).

There will be PLENTY of oil to run equipment for 100 years. The shortage of Oil will impact the money supply an dthe economy, which in turn will impact farm commodities far more than Oil shortages will, in my judgment (at least for the next 50 years).

On my farm we use no persticides and no chemical fertilizer at all. Animal manure (and urine) collected at the barn makes for excellent fertilizer, and last year we simply planted our corn in the field that the cows spent the winter - believe me, that field was more than fertilized.

If the WWII generation could grow 40% of their vegitable produce in victory gardens - so can we, and with our sci/tech probably much more. But to do so would mean a tremendous population shift from the those same cities of "intellectual interest" to the country side. Many of those folks are likely to bring their intellects with them!

The point is, we will work this out - without Armageddon. I have long felt the problem (at least in the West) would be the social impacts of losing most of our financial wealth - PROVIDED that food supplies problems would NOT exist - and that already happened, sort of, and for the most part people have adjusted. I expect more wealth to evaporate over the next decade, and as long as it happens relatively slowly and gives folks time to adapt they WILL adapt.

I think it is all about the RATE of change.

bureaucrat said...

Glad you optimists are along for the ride. :) I sway back and forth ... the near term is ok (the grocery stores and gas stations are open), but the long term is a problem, in my opinion.

I also have an issue with the "yuck" factor (the same reason they don't recycle THE water in human waste yet.) It may be damn clean water, but I just can't bring myself to drink such a creation. So when the cat started peeing in my backyard instead of 100% in Her box, my 2009 plans to grow potatoes again this year in the back yard was .... shelved. :)

Donal Lang said...

To Bureaucrat

In London the water in the Thames is taken out, purified, 'used', (yes, including THAT kinda used!), cleaned and put back into the Thames 6 TIMES between west London and east London. The main problem is all those London girls on the Pill, because the treatment doesn't take out hormones!

So citylife isn't always a protection against the yuk factor!

Donal Lang said...

Greg

My preference is for Permaculture - lazy man's smallholding. Suits my naturally lazy, urban mentality better! That gets us away from the heavy work, whether its done by oil or sharecroppers (Or slaves. I KNEW it was premature to stop all that slavery stuff!).

Anonymous said...

thanks for the information....

___________________
Sharon
For 3 Months Enjoy Free 28 Premium Movie Channels