Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Frugal Is In (Again)

I am not embarrassed to admit that I am frugal.  

Even in my best earning years, I always drove an inexpensive vehilce and lived in a home that was well within my means (with the exception of my first house when I was young and newly married - even frugal guys can make mistakes).

So I get positively aroused when I see articles like this on the FRONT PAGE of MSNBC.

NEW YORK - Amy VanDeventer has always been a cheapskate. The recession is taking her to new extremes.

Before the economy tanked, she was still wearing maternity clothes from her last pregnancy, clipping coupons and using hand-me-downs to dress her daughters, ages 2 and 3. Now, she's salvaging bagel scraps left on their plates for pizza toppings and cutting lotion bottles in half so she can scrape out the last drops.

"I was already cheap," said VanDeventer, a 36-year-old mortgage loan underwriter from Broomfield, Colo. "Now I am neurotic about it."

If you thought those cheapskate friends and relatives couldn't pinch pennies any tighter, think again. The recession is making tightwads like VanDeventer cut back even more. They're going way beyond sharpening their coupon scissors, replacing already cheap store-brand fabric softener with vinegar and even making their own detergent. VanDeventer was drying her hair in front of a fan after her portable hair dryer broke — until her friends bought her a new one.

The recession is radically changing behavior among many different types of people, from the Wall Street bankers who are now waltzing into Wal-Mart for the first time to buy their groceries to teens who are now thumbing through the piles of status jeans at secondhand shops to save money. And experts say that such behavior could linger long after the economy recovers.

What surprises frugality bloggers is that many cheapskates such as VanDeventer haven't lost their jobs and are not in danger of losing their homes. Many have stashed a good chunk of cash away. But the economic uncertainty is catapulting them to new levels of thriftiness.

"I do it out of fear because I would rather put that money in the bank or purchase something we really need," said VanDeventer, who now saves about 50 percent of her take-home pay, up from 25 percent before the recession began more than a year ago.

The trend is disturbing for merchants, who are already reeling from the sharp pullback by spenders. Such extreme miserly behavior could only worsen the decline in consumer spending.

"Frugal people are now looking at more ways not to spend money," said Lynnae McCoy, who runs a blog called beingfrugal.net, which attracts seasoned penny pinchers. In January, her site received 110,000 hits, up 30 percent from a year ago. What intrigued McCoy was the interest among frugal folks to save even more money by making their own detergent and other household goods.

Elizabeth Schomburg, a credit counselor from Roscoe, Ill., is now replacing store brand softener with vinegar in her laundry. The 31-year-old, who used to comb the 80 percent off sales racks, said she has stopped doing any "recreational buying."

"I am questioning every single purchase," she said.

She's also not stockpiling discounted groceries because she wants to limit how much money she puts out for each trip to the supermarket. That kind of behavior is showing up in fourth-quarter results at companies including foodmaker H.J. Heinz Co., whose sales suffered as consumers are cleaning out their cupboards before buying new items.

Jeff Yeager, author of The Ultimate Cheapskate's Roadmap to True Riches, sees a silver lining to the economic downturn.

"Whatever you do to simplify your life is a good thing," Yeager said. A self-proclaimed cheapskate, he has spent no more than $100 over the past five years on clothing for himself and won't throw anything out until it literally falls apart.

But he's found ways to cut back even more now, such as eating more lentils — which are cheap and nutritious — and biking more to save gasoline. His mantra for buying food? Buy not what you want, but what's affordable at the time.

Unlike many big spenders during the boom years, he says he and other cheapskates are "sleeping easy" these days.

They're also getting some respect from the spenders, who even just a few months ago mocked their thrifty ways.

"My friends used to laugh at me," said Jodi Furman, referring to her obsession with 70 percent off sales and her knack for saving money with coupons.

They're not laughing now. The mother of three from Lake Worth, Fla., parlayed her knowledge into a blog called neverpayretailagain.net last fall. The blog helps shoppers save money on fashionable clothing and healthy food.

"If you can't make more money, then you can spend less — and that's the equivalent of making more money," Furman said.

While she doesn't scrape pizza crumbs or make her own detergent, Furman said she's "laser-focused" when it comes to saving on groceries. She's saving 60 percent to 70 percent off her grocery bills. On a recent trip to Winn-Dixie, she scooped up $63.50 worth of groceries for $16.45. She picked up a box of TLC Cereal bars, regularly priced at $3.99, for $1 — it was on sale for $3 but she used a $2 coupon. She got a $3.99 package of Equal sweetener for free — combining a coupon with the sale price.

Many people are embracing the new challenge of squeezing the most value out of every last penny. Who knew you could make household products such as detergent? McCoy says it's not hard: mix Borax with a half bar of soap, baking soda and its relative washing soda, which cuts grease and can be found in the laundry areas of many supermarkets.

"If you have vinegar, Dawn soap and baking soda, you can pretty much make any cleaning product," McCoy said.

Well!!  That just warms my cheap little heart.

But it won't warm the economy's heart.  "Savings" is merely "Under-Consumption".   People that save do not need CREDIT (trust me on this. Rather than live in a McMansion, I live in a modest home that I paid for outright.  I drive an 8 year old F-150 when I must drive, but mostly I bicycle around town.  My wife drives a 4 year old Ford minivan.  Ergo, no car payments.  No mortgage payments, and because the house is inexpensive my property taxes are no more than a nuisance (we prefer to spend our money on private school tuition for our 2 boys and eventually for our little girl).  I recently had lunch with an investor in my fund that was amused by my ugly truck and my 3 legged dog that I bring everywhere.  He told me later his first thought was that I did not look very successful, (he noticed that I was not wearing a watch and when I told him I don't OWN a watch (we don't wear or own any jewelry) he looked somewhat peptic) but after some thought he told me that I probably would not need to steal from him, a la Madoff, to support my "opulent lifestyle"...  Sharp guy!  As far as my 3 legged dog... She moved in with us 6 years ago, she is not sensitive about her disability, and gets around as well as any other dog.  I get my dogs at the pound.  For $65, which includes neutering, you get as good a dog as any fancy breeder, though in my case - a leg short).

The U.S. economy has come to depend on consumers that spend 110% of what they make.  If those same consumers spend 90%, businesses that depended on the consumer are going to be in a world of hurt for year to come.  

This is not a bad thing.  It is actually very curative.  Unless you are a retailer.

--------------------------------------------------

Bear Market Rally's are the best feeling you can have with your clothes on.  We might be having one right now.  Trade it.  Just don't believe it.  

--------------------------------------------------


Duh.

What would really be helpful is to know just how long we are going to be in this deflationary spiral.  

Good Luck!

Mentatt (at) yahoo (d0t) com


-------------------------------------------------

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honor among cheapskates! But, since about three quarters of our economy is consumer based, won't this just fuel the downside to the present problem? In the end, maybe we will all become broke enough to start making/producing things again instead of trading dollars.

bureaucrat said...

Don't think you can "cheap" your way out of everything. Deflation is indeed in play, but I still spend a lot on stuff that is hardly discretionary: used cars are cheap but maintaining them isn't. $400 for new tires, $400 for new brakes, and every repair of any kind is always several hundred dollars. Vet bills -- those vets need to pay off their loans, so I rarely walk out without spending $400 on something or another for the cats. Tuition isn't cheap, and is accelerating upward. Even the "trade schools" cost $12,000 for a one year certificate to learn how to repair air conditioners. Taxes also aren't cheap, and sure as hell aren't going to come down anytime soon. So, while I'm big-time "cheaping" my way thru life, the BIG dollar expenses are everpresent. And then there is the friends .....

Anonymous said...

>my 3 legged dog that I bring everywhere<

Anybody who befriends a 3 legged dog can't be all bad.

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Bureaucrat:

My older son's private school just announced a 3.6% increase in tuition for next year. The place was already outrageously expensive (nearly $30K per year all in... 23K tuition, trips...) The school obviously does not feel that we are in deflation.

The trick to keeping auto expenses at a minimum is not driving very much. I know you manage car fleets for a living so you obviously know all about maintenance per mile issues, so what am I telling you...?

Anon@ 1:05am

The economy NEEDS savings and investment, not consuming and consumer debt. That model cannot long last and in fact just broke. That does not mean that after the curative process we cannot have a fully functioning economy - the problem is government policies. They are input numero uno.

What I was getting at with the Frugal disclosure is that life is stunningly less stressful if you can accustom yourself to living below your means, and balancing family time with work is a breeze if you don't need the money to make it through. Look, that is a personal decision. When I quit my job in New York to open my Mom and Pop operation and live at the beach I took one hell of a pay cut, but it turned out that I traded money for a life - not everyone is so lucky. Sometimes when you do stuff like that you just dig yourself a deep hole.

bureaucrat said...

I forgot to mention .. $245 for a pair of prescription glasses for a friend who can't see the board (these are PLASTIC lenses!) and $1000 for a crown for one tooth -- not even GOLD!! :) The deflation is occuring in the big ticket items (houses, cars and furniture) as well as cheaper items (gasoline, natural gas and some food items), but the stuff in between -- a lot of the medical, animal, technical and fee-related govt. stuff -- does seem to be inflating

bureaucrat said...

(We operate under the commercial rental car model -- almost all of our vehicles get replaced after 3-6 years -- low maintenance costs)

bureaucrat said...

From Mish ...

"It took nearly 80 years for people to get as reckless as they did in 1929. 80 years! Few are still alive that went through the great depression. No one listened to them. That is the nature of the game. The odds of a significant bout of inflation now are about the same as they were in 1929. Next to none."

Anonymous said...

Maryland mom
Instead of frugal or thrifty being a good thing as it was for so long in our society- this is about "cheapskates"- which is being used as a derogatory term. Those of us who lived within our means, paid our bills, used coupons, cooked meals, used public transportation and they didn't mention some of my "cheap" ways- like mending clothing or repairing household items or not buying every new gadget that comes out- while the "old" one(s) is still fine. Our house is paid, our cars are paid, our kids college tuition was paid- and we eat out sometimes, travel overseas and cross country and go to movies and theater.

Anonymous said...

Asset classes (mostly "paper" wealth, i.e. the FIRE economy) are the only sources of disinflation I see, and much of that "wealth" was hallucinated to begin with. Most tangible goods and services (in the productive economy) are still inflating, just as bureaucrat observes.

Big +1 for the pound doggy (or cat), they make the best pets and you sir have a good heart for realizing that and saving him.

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Maryland Mom:

Good for you and I am trilled to have you comment here!

I could not agree more. I am not "cheap". I am frugal and modest. We work hard to give our families the best we can, not so we can engage in some perverted game of material competitiveness.

People who practice frugality should not be demeaned in our media or anywhere else.

Thank you for pointing that out!

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Anon 8:22am:

We live on a farm half the year and our dog is a working dog, don't let the 3 legged part fool you. When I need to move stubborn steer or pig that refuses to load, transfer, etc... I go get "T-Bone". She is a Cur Dog mix that instinctively knows how to work big, dangerous animals.

BTW, she lost half of her left front leg in a car accident as a puppy. I might be frugal, but the investment we made in her has paid off for my family in spades.

I would NEVER get my pets anywhere but the pound or similar adoption program. This is my 3rd dog (the second to be named T-bone) from the pound and all have lived long, useful, and happy lives with us.

Anonymous said...

Greg:
You are precious. A three legged dog from the pound! Kick ass! You make me look bad with my $1200 designer mutt (spoodle) and a watch for every day of the month (almost). Having grown up as a refugee I have a an emotional problem with pinching pennies but I have been underconsuming for years. We have a 5 year old sub-compact car and a couple of Vespa scooters. I can't ride both at one time but the wife says she may be interested in riding one... someday. Hmm. Well, perhaps the kids will ride one when they grow up.

Meantime, more power to you on being cheap. When I see a man or a woman in an expensive new car I think that they are stealing from their children.

Chuck H.

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Chuck:

I am no pilgrim. I simply do not do the materially competitive thing. I am reasonably well to do, but there are better things to spend money on than an inflated home expense (and all that entails), expensive cars and insurance, etc...

We travel a great deal and I take 4 to 6 weeks off each year to do so. That is what I worked so hard to be able to do, and my frugality means that I have zero FINANCIAL stress while doing it. That was what I was getting at.

I only brought up my dog because my client got a kick out of my presentation. Most hedge fund managers come complete with a $2,000 suit custom made in Milan or London, a Rolex, Johnston-Murphy wingtips, etc... I came to the meeting in my 2000 F-150 with my dog, dressed in my uniform consisting of a plain white T-shirt (Costco), 5 year old $17 cargo shorts, and flip flops, and a less than chic hairstyle because my wife cuts my hair into a crew cut so short I would need a plastic surgeon to get any shorter. I do this ON PURPOSE. I want my investors to understand my mentality, and I want them to like it. "If not, then not" as my grandmother used to say...

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.......

___________________
Sharon
The only Satellite Television Delivers the Best Value in Entertainment