Monday, June 15, 2009

The End of an Era

It is a sad day around the AEC and Jeffers Farm.

Katherine Grossman, AKA "Granny Miller", has written her last post on 5/29/09.

I never met the woman, but I relied on her blog HEAVILY after I bought my farm.  Her down home wisdom and charm shone brightly through her pleasant prose and detailed instructions.  Granny Miller will be sorely missed.  

I am depressed.  I hope she changes her mind and comes out of retirement after a well deserved rest.

If Sharon Astyk calls it quits, and Dmitri Orlov writes any less... (that is a hint, Mr. Orlov), I might as well cancel my internet connection.  Please Sharon & Dmitri, for the sake of my mental health, keep it coming - at least till I can find a fix to help me get over Granny.


Mentatt (at) yahoo (dot) com

6 comments:

kathy said...

I am right there with you on Sharon and Dmitry. I have come to know Sharon over the past year (we both live in the northeast and have quoted each other on our respective blogs) and there is no one I respect more. Dmitry Orlov has responded to my posts on his blog with such kindness. The three of you are my go-to guys for information and inspiration.

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

I think Granny is very much worth perusing. The sight is not an economic or political analysis, but it really did have some really worthwhile how to's.

I understand that Ms. Grossman/Granny has had some health issues and I sincerely hope that that is not the reason she is hanging it up.

I hope all is well with you and yours!

Shamba said...

Sharon isn't going to quit; I won't let her! :) and a lot of others won't either!

Truly, I would miss her blog more than any others combined I read on the net and I read about 10 or so sites daily.

I haven't been reading Dmitry so I'll have to try his site.

Peace to all,
shamba

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Shamba:

Judging by the sheer force and volume of Sharon's writings I would venture to say that she is a force of nature - and unable to quit.

kathy said...

I am assuming you found Dmitry's latest post. I thought it was one of the best things I have read in a long time. My kids are all getting copies of this essay. I am sure they will be thrilled with getting this as opposed to an itunes card for their next birthday.

Anonymous said...

Hey Greg T.Jeffers -
Just found your comment.

I didn't quit Granny Miller because of health issues.

I let Granny go because it was taking up WAY too much of my life!

I spent at least an hour EVERY morning just answering mail from strangers - never mind writing posts.

I wanted and needed more free time and letting my blog go is how I got it :-)