Monday, July 26, 2010

2005 - 2020

I got an email link to a fantastic documentary on the world financial and monetary system from a well known guy in the energy debate. When you have the time, this is pretty good stuff... and I'd say reasonably, though not perfectly, accurate (perhaps 88%?). I have much to say on this subject, MMT, Keynesian goofballs, and life in general.... but you gotta watch this first. It really is worth the hour of life that it consumes.

Now... Let's talk OIL, shall we?

Here's the deal: Oil production is still below its monthly and yearly peak(s) of 2008 and 2005 (Monthly production peaked in 2008, yearly in 2005 if I read the data correctly... feel free to correct me) even though Oil is up 700% in just over 10 years.

2010 Oil imports into the U.S. are down 5.1% from last year's disaster... but the AVERAGE decline rate has remained close to .7% per month beginning with the 2006 over 2005 comparison.

Here, in its entirety, is a post I wrote November 28, 200- nearly 3 years ago, in which I argued that the Apocalypse would NOT come as advertised but that a slow, grinding torturous constriction of Oil availability to the U.S. economy would be the more like outcome. With the exception of an inflationary response (in mid-2008 I came around to the Deflationary theme... sometimes your hot, sometimes you are not) I think things are progressing right about on schedule. In any event, let us reconvene this discussion after the repost:

An Apocalypse NOT!

I get a decent amount of email from the “doom and gloom” folks asking me when I think the “collapse” takes place. Collapse? What collapse?

The decline in oil availability will be a slow, grinding process (in my opinion) that will not fit nicely in a 2 hour movie, 3 minute pop hit, or 15 second political sound bite mindset. I hope I can disabuse the doomers that visit here that they need some kind of bomb shelter. Although I fully appreciate your point of view, my commentary is directed toward how one might direct the investments that they have worked so hard for. I sincerely believe that the U.S. oil supply situation will have profound effects on our financial and real estate markets and currency over the next 5 years, but I do not think this will happen on a Tuesday afternoon. Nor do I believe that we will descend into anarchy. Are not resource wars (starting with Iraq), and the prospect of hyperinflation, and stagnant or declining GDP enough? Well, at least I hope they are.

My issue is this: Why should you work so hard only to pour your investment dollars into a leaking bucket? You would have been better off spending those shekels on vacations, expensive wine, and song. (Actually, that sort of appeals to me.) Some might find that pecuniary, but those that do probably did not spend a career doggedly pursuing some level of financial independence. Actually, I am quite sure that on some level the tied dye set is HOPING for a collapse. Teach those yuppie pricks a lesson.

I know that a lot of the peak oil blogsphere is filled with disaster scenarios, but I sincerely doubt this is the most likely outcome. That argument that we will experience immanent agricultural disaster due to declining energy inputs is just not that likely. The markets are efficient enough to redistribute those inputs away from Suzie-Cuzie’s trip to the mall and into the farmer’s tank and fertilizer bin. Yes, food is going to get much more expensive, and yes, this will fall disproportionately on the poor. But the aggregate AMOUNT of food available to Americans is not the problem, but rather how to pay for assistance to the poor.

This is not to say that our agricultural exports won’t decline and harm others. I sadly think that is a rather likely outcome. Those of you that have been following my blog know that I have great concerns in this area. Wheat and corn production will become an increasingly expensive proposition, and that will negatively affect aggregate crop production, just look at wheat inventories, and in turn available exports and domestic meat production, but the lesson of history is that people will be “incentivized” to produce some of their own food. As an avid gardener, I can tell you that a simple kitchen garden can overwhelm your ability to consume all that is produced at harvest time, the surplus of which can certainly be preserved. It will not be necessary to produce ALL of our own food (at least not for 20 or 30 years, all bets are off at that point in the oil production curve) just enough to bring the marginal scarcity food cost down to an affordable level.

I get email from one dour fellow who tells me that we have lost all of the knowledge to do this. What knowledge, gardening? Get a grip, and join my garden club. You would be impressed with what these folks know.

As my friend FireAngel from theoildrum.com likes to point out, if India can feed over 1 billion people with less arable land and far less fossil fuel imports, North America certainly can feed its population.

There is also some slack for the economy in the wasteful way in which we use oil. FireAngel recently pointed out that driving around in circles does not increase GDP.

If it were going to be Armageddon, what would be the point of investing? Better to blow it all on a trip around the world.

No, the Apocalypse won’t be arriving anytime soon, but a paradigm shift is, in my opinion, underway as I write this. In this paradigm shift, there will be winners and there will be losers. Not much different than our current reality. It is the INSISTING that things be a certain way that will get you into trouble. Flexibility and adaptability will go a long way in the environment I foresee.

No, it won’t be business as usual. We are likely to be a whole lot less mobile, live in smaller homes, and consume less frilly BS. We won’t be commuting as far, be more involved in our communities and our children’s lives, and we even might all have a new hobby – gardening. But I ask you: Is that really Armageddon?

Yours for a better world,

Mentatt (at) yahoo (d0t) com

End of reposted article.

So far, pretty on the money...

Here's why I might be right: China's market for new cars surpassed the U.S. by a BIG number this year; imports into the U.S. continue to S.T.B. (S**t the bed); Deep Water Drilling as we know it here in the U.S. is on the ropes (irrespective of the Administration's dopey policies... nobody wants to be put out of business by a blow back, the costs of insurance are insurmountable, fear of criminal prosecution...), and just last week the King of Saudi Arabia said they have no intention of increasing production to keep world oil prices down but are instead concentrating on what is best for their citizens in the Long Term.

Here's why I might be wrong: Iraq's Oi fields might put off Peak Oil by 10 years. I doubt this very seriously, but I would be FOS to claim that it was not a possibility. Other than Iraq, I would give my year 2020 outcome of less then 8 million bpd available to the U.S. as an EXTREMELY HIGH PROBABILITY... and less than 5 million bpd available to the U.S. in 2030.

I tell most people to save more and diversify beyond financial assets... I tell semi rich folks ($3 to $15 million net worth) to enjoy the fruits of their labors and spend some money on the things you always wanted to do because the government is going to enact crazy death taxes and our currency and financial markets will not survive the decade without unreal changes. Take that trip around the world. Spend a month in Israel or Egypt or Costa Rica... wine, women, & song.... You truly rich folks are on your own.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are right, Greg.

However, I am seeing econ charts that are unlike anything I have seen before postwar. BIG stuff going on below the surface and with major geopolitical movements afoot that are unfavorable to USA.

And we have leaders who do not have a clue of any kind and are charging up the national credit card to unbelievable levels.

I would be optimistic if I saw the wars winding down, railroads being rebuilt, domestic industry restarting here at home, causes of downturn being repaired, financial criminals doing perp walks, revamping social programs, a credible energy program being enacted. Haven't seen any of these things so far.

Sorry to be a doomer but I've got a bad feeling about this one.

Best,
Marshall

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Marshall:

I am receiving you loud and clear...

I think that the unfunded social program liability is the biggest issue, followed by debt and credit deflation... THEN Oil.

BTW... I despise Perp walks... especially for financial "crimes". Where was Madoff's perp walk? Yet the guys from Bear were humiliated to the Max... and then were acquited... if you can't convict a Wall Street Hedge Fund Manager, who can you convict?

kathy said...

I think all doom will be personal. If you can't find work, lose your house, get sick and have no health care, lose the joy in you family, then doom is upon you. Mad Max may not come roaring down your street but if your town has laid off the whole police force and you have to wait for the staties to arrive, it won't take MM to bring doom. We raise most of what we eat and today I found BLIGHT!!! Not doom to many but a tiny doom for me. I plant 100 tomato plants from saved seed and put up hundreds of jars of sauce and such each year. I teach canning classes and no tomatoes makes for a less busy schedule for me. I agree that we will not be walking over dead bodies any time soon but the inner cities will almost certainly be dangerous, dirty and doomy as services disappear and those used to entitlements start throwing tantrums.

bureaucrat said...

I'm sure Marshall will come around, just like Jeffer's repost. :) The problem about being an old man (I'm 43 -- nearly there) is we've seen a lot, and have information the younger folks should hear to save them from unnecessary losses and problems. But young people don't care! They want to a) think they know everything b) are content with the idea that "little in life is dangerous" and c) find old men to be boring, stinky, and over-cautious. :)

So, I would say, the hell with the younger folks. We tell them what we think, if they are even listening, and, in the meantime, we invest, make money on various shortages, and live it up. :)

I would also remind everyone that PEAK DEMAND is just as important as peak supply. If you have constrained oil production, but your demand falls even faster, there is no peak oil. I'm hoping for unheard of drops in oil demand. Wishful thinking, maybe.

PioneerPreppy said...

I think we reached the peak everything last year and several world leaders know it but the current US regime doesn't.

The only things that will continue to peak are population size and energy use until both are forced to decline. Everything else is getting smaller and smaller by the day.

China has went street rat crazy on arable land in Africa and resources in other countries, including oil in Canada. It also majorly limited rare earth exports.

Several other large funds have been noted as buying farm land extensively in the US. Get what you can while the gettin is good is what I think right now.

oOOo said...

Ok, 3 things,
1.driving around in circles does increase GDP because the size of the various motorsports industries are massive and have many offshoot industries.

2. U.S. Imports from Saudi Arabia seem to be recovering slightly when I checked today. Still low historically, but back up to 1,257 after the drop to 766 at one point last year. Im curious which way this trend will head. Most likely still down I would guess, but seems like a decent increase this year so far. http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MTTIMUSSA2&f=M


3. Did you see AEP's article about the death of paper money? Thought it was pretty good and ordered the 2nd book he references which has just been reprinted. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/7909432/The-Death-of-Paper-Money.html

bureaucrat said...

By the way, the link to the "National Association of Dismal Information" video is interesting but HIGHLY slanted and includes no truthful positives. Yeah, you can dump the U.S. Dept of Eduaction and its $64 billion budget, but remember, a lot of their budget goes to defaulted student loans. Perhaps the whole education industry needs to shrink, but there are unintended consequences for any "cuts" of any kind. Let's start a discussion.

Donal Lang said...

I'd like to agree with you Greg, but I have that feeling of inevitability that I think I'd get if I'd stopped my car on the top of a cliff and realised that the tyres were still sliding .......

I also was going to peg up the Guardian article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/7909432/The-Death-of-Paper-Money.html . Ambrose Evans-Pritchard is highly respected and takes a broad and independant viewpoint.His take on the sudden increase in the speed of money circulation is exactly my view of the coming crunch-point for money value. It doesn't require anything more to happen than we have now; too much rescue-money in circulation, low interest rates and the general idea that it'll all be ok soon (so people start spending again).

The hard thing to work out is how it can happen in the dollar, the Euro and the yen, all at the same time. But I think it can!

Donal Lang said...

P.S. We tend to get caught up in the USA and Europe, but let's not forget that India just posted 9% growth in the last 3 months! China is trying to keep growth below 20%. The viewpoint from there doesn't have 'collapse' in it!

They just see the US and Europe as having their own local difficulties, and are getting on with wooing Africa and South America. Seems we've just been sidelined!

Anonymous said...

Mish thinks that China has blown the mother of all bubbles. It remains to be seen, but cities full of see-through buildings are not a good sign. The bigger the bubble, the louder it pops.

Regards,

Coal Guy

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Coal Guy:

I think Mish is essentially correct, and you should trough in Australia and Canada according to my partner, the Mad Scientist.

A Quaker in a Strange Land said...

Donal:

I like that analogy... and I think it is properly descriptive of the circumstance.

"Slow and grinding" is close enough to "tires sliding" to my mind.

More on this in the next post.